Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Writer's Block is the Devil

Okay, that may be a bit harsh. But I have this one scene that is driving me insane. Trying to deal with a viewpoint character that is basically numb is NOT my idea of a good time. I wrote a whopping 297 words on it, yesterday. Mind you, I have already written scenes that come after this scene, including people mentioning things that happened in this scene. So, I have some ideas. But trying to get into Eli's head when ELI isn't in Eli's head is a new one for me. I have a lovely song that I'm listening to on repeat that is helping me get into the right mood for it. But, the mood isn't the problem. Eli not being all there is the problem. To give you an idea of how long I've been putting this scene off - I started a thread in Scrib asking for advice a couple months ago. Then, I moved on. But, I NEED to go back. For starters, this is the scene that next Sunday's snippet is supposed to come from. Granted, I do have something I can use for that, but that is not the point. The point is that this scene is rather pivotal. It's past time that I bit the bullet and wrote the darn thing.

In other news, I have decided that if anyone ever looked at my search history on this computer, I would probably be arrested. I'm not sure what the charge would be, maybe I wouldn't actually be arrested, maybe I would just be locked in a padded cell. Writers really do research the oddest things. For the most part, mine have been pretty tame. Well... except for the searches on how to store blood, and whether someone could own a blood bank. And last night's searches for signs of exsanguination... Sigh... I spent at least an hour wandering the internet trying to find out what someone that was killed by a vampire would look like. It led to some great lines, but can you just imagine the reaction someone would have to looking at my search history?

What about you? How do you deal with writer's block? And what's the weirdest thing you've ever had to research?

And that is my semi-coherent ramble for the day. Come back Friday to meet Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment