Monday, March 4, 2013

Forgive and forget?


Okay, welcomed to my newest feature. Every Monday (because what better day to do this than on Monday) I'm going to flip through a book of "Positive Quotations" I found while I was sorting my books to pack them up and post one of the quotes and talk about it. Today's quote is on forgiveness, which is rather fitting considering the conversation I'm having at the moment.

"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget." - Thomas Szasz

I think I'm running into this, right now. There's someone who hurt me a lot, and I'm trying to forgive him - but he's all upset with me because I can't forget, and I'm still trying to learn to trust him again. I'm not going to get into the whole thing, here. Suffice to say that this quote pretty much sums up my entire opinion on the subject. I can forgive - forgetting is a whole different story. And I'm not sure that I SHOULD forget. I don't know that that would really help EITHER of us.


And I think that may be true in any situation. Yes, if the relationship in question means anything to you, you need to forgive. But, I don't know that forgetting is really the best course, most of the time. After all, forgetting just sets you up to have the whole thing happen again, and how does that help anyone?


I admit to not making much sense, today. I promise that I'll try to keep my "positive thinking Monday" posts more...well... positive from now on. But, what do you think about it? Is it really better to forgive and forget? Or is it better to forgive but not forget?


Come back Wednesday for my weekly ramble - where I'll explain why sometimes I think that time travel has to be real...

No comments:

Post a Comment