Thursday, February 13, 2014

Legalities suck, sometimes


So, the reason I haven't blogged last week is because I spent the week hunting down new pictures for my blog. It occurred to me that it wasn't actually legal for me to have the pics I had up here. So, I got to spend a week hunting down Creative Commons licensed images to use. End result is that some of the pictures are even more perfect than the ones I had before. (Go check out Catie's new picture, OMG). Of course, some are not quite as perfect. So, it's a bit of a trade off. On the one hand, some of the pictures are not QUITE right, on the other, some are even better than what I had before, and I don't have to worry about somebody taking my blog down for copyright infringement. 

As a writer, and therefore someone who will have my own copyright protected material out there soon, not to mention the things already on this blog, I totally get the need to protect a copyright. But, as a blogger I can't help being sad about not being able to use some of the really great pictures I've found. So, I got up the brilliant idea that I could set up a Pinterest account for other pictures. Nope. The same legal considerations actually exist there, too. People just tend to ignore them even more than they do on blogs.

On a brighter note, I have found a great website for totally free legal images to use, and will likely scroll through there so that I can have an image with every post, now. I'm going to put a disclaimer up as soon as I figure out how to do that, but I'll put it here, for now. With the exception of the pictures in my Photoshop post, any picture that does not have an attribution in the post is from morguefile.com under a license that does not require attribution. I'll post a link to their license in my disclaimer once I put that up.

So, that's what I've been up to this week. Come back Friday to meet Ana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment