Friday, June 7, 2013

Why I love writing about vampires

Way back in grammar school and high school, when I first started writing, I never imagined that I would someday call myself a paranormal romance writer. Granted, back then I don't know that I would have even known what that was. So, why am I sitting here writing this story of all the kinds of stories there are - and why am I planning more?

Well, what made me start writing this particular story is a bit of a long story itself. But in the end it was that these two characters grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. But, along the way, I've discovered that I really like writing this kind of story. I really LIKE writing about vampires. Not as the bad guys in a horror story, but as the good guys in a romance. And there are a lot of reasons for that. So, without further ado:

They have some pretty awesome abilities, that are a lot of fun to write about. So far I have explored, to just a limited extent, their incredible speed and strength. And, to a greater extent, the telepathy and minor mind control that these particular vampires have announced they have. Then there is the fact that Catie is an empath - which she was before she became a vampire, but that is still something you can only really have in a paranormal.

There is the built in question of their own morality. After all, they need human blood to survive. What they are and are not willing to do to acquire that sustenance can say quite a bit about them. There is a ton of characterization involved just in how they feel about their own physical needs, what they do to meet those needs, and how they feel about THAT. I was able to say more about Catie in a single line in the opening scene than I could have said in PAGES of trying to explain her. And in the second scene there is a short conversation that says even more about Eli. Neither of those things would have been possible if they weren't vampires.

They're immortal. So, I get to play with some ridiculously old characters. This amuses me, for some reason. Especially when I get to research dead languages and figure out my oldest characters' backstories. Yes, I find that kind of research fun.

But, perhaps my favorite reason is also the silliest. Vampires have the single most poetic euphemism for suicide EVER. I mean, really... as a way of talking about suicide goes, does it get any prettier than "watch a sunrise?"

What about you? What are your reasons for reading/writing the genres you read/write? What is it about those kinds of stories that draws you to them?

I'm way behind again. But if I can find a suitable picture for him, I'll post Nicolaus's bio Friday or Saturday. And of course on Sunday I'll have another snippet for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment