Monday, May 6, 2013

The end of camp nano

Well, Camp Nano ended on Tuesday. I'm quite proud of myself, I met my goal. I wrote 31,166 words in April, bringing my total word count on this thing up to 44,756. I don't know how coherent most of it is, but it is there. In the process of doing this I've learned a few things about myself, my writing process, and the book itself that I find quite interesting. So, here's some of what I've learned:

1.) I write best in 15 to 30 minute spurts, especially if I'm using a timer that I can't pause. I can set the timer, tune everything else out and just go to town with it. I think my record is 430 words in 15 minutes.
2.) I've become less of a perfectionist this month than I have been. This thing is riddled with typos and I quite frankly do not care. This is oddly freeing. It was still automatic to go back and fix some things as I was typing, but I wasn't nearly as picky about it as I usually am. Not to mention that I'm not sure how much sense it actually makes in some places. This whole "just puke it out and fix it later" thing is very new to me. But I've been more productive than usual, and I'll take that trade-off.
3.) Characters will develop their own minds and randomly take the thing in a direction I never planned. Some things I've learned about them:
  3a.) Vampires are projective telepaths. I did not know this until Eli stood in a field and "called" Ana.
  3b.) Catie is an empath. My muse is currently pondering the possibilities inherent in having one of the MC's of a romance novel being an empath. (My muse disturbs me, sometimes.)
  3c.) One of my secondary characters seems to have a thing for Catie. This makes me want to slap him. He was NOT supposed to have feelings for her. I did NOT set out to write a love triangle.
4.) I have learned that I am not the one trick-pony I was afraid I might be. I now have ideas for 4 more books in this universe - two of which are direct spin-offs from Eternity's Price.
5.) I am actually perfectly capable of writing 5,000 words in one day if I set my mind to it.

All in all, this was a great experience. I just hope that I can keep it going to meet my final goal of having the rough draft done by the end of July. Wish me luck.

And that is my semi-coherent ramble for today. I'll post Adam's bio later today to finish catching up.



No comments:

Post a Comment